Sunday, February 20, 2011

Trail Cams

I tested out my trail cams to check for any issues. The first one I got in '08, a Bushnell Trail Sentry, worked well for 2 1/2 months of solid field time and gave my the info I needed to decide that this particular location was THE spot to begin my hunt. But when I tried it for the next years deer hunt, it gave me a handful of pix (one was a worthy 4-pt.) and then quit working properly. I tried the checks that Buhnell gave me and now I need to send it in for repair.

The Wildview camera still works well though. The quality isn't up to my "photographer" standards but it is a good tattletale and tells me what I need to know.

The new StealthCam Unit however is a real treat. It is smaller, has higher resolution, a zoom feature and did some very good work in the chicken run test. (I put the cams up at dad's chicken coop since there is plenty of activity there.) There were no pix of predators though.

Now I need to come up with some security for the cams now. I think I got really lucky that they didn't get molested being in the field for so long last time. There was only one day that a human came into view on one cam. He wiggled it but let it be. I can't say the same for the elk though. I will post some vids later that show what elk are like when no one is watching.

1 comment:

TheFirstWard said...

Cool picture. I am looking forward to seeing some more.